Sunday, December 16, 2012

An Open Letter To Teachers by Allison Hepworth

Today, I would like to share a letter by Allison of House Of Hepworths that I received today as a subscriber and it is simply a message from her heart that I feel everyone should read.

An Open Letter To Teachers

I sent the following letter to my kids’ teachers and all of their past teachers (that I have contact info on). I have been thinking about the Newtown tragedy since it happened and have shed many tears over it. I can’t do much to help the people of Newtown, but I can thank my children’s teachers for all they do and let them know I appreciate them. Hug your children extra tight this weekend, and thank your children’s teachers for all they do. A simple thank you goes a long way.
****
I have been deeply affected by what happened in Newtown on Friday. I can’t help but think “What if that were my child in their situation”. I wanted to run to school on Friday and bring my babies home early and never send them back.
As a parent, I want to keep them safe and out of harms way. However, I have been reminded through learning more about this tragedy that each of the teachers at their school love their students. You love your students. You teach them. You worry about them. You laugh with them and play with them. You stay up at night thinking about them. You protect them.
I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for caring about my kids and loving them. For worrying about them. And for teaching them. For helping them to be the best they can be.
I want you to know that I am grateful for you and for teachers like you. I want you to know that I know my kids are in good hands while in your care each day. I know you will protect them and keep them safe.
Thank you for all you do. I appreciate you. I’m sure you don’t hear this enough. I need to say thank you more. So Thank You. Thank you for not only teaching, but for caring about and shaping the lives of these little people.
I still remember each of my elementary school teachers fondly. As an adult I have even gone back and visited them in their classrooms. They are forever imprinted on my heart, as you will be on my child’s. You may not feel it every day, but you are making such an impression that these children will carry with them forever. Thank you.
As much as I want to keep my kids home and safe, I will send them back to school Monday because I know that they are safe and loved in your care. I trust that they are in good hands. It comforts me to know you are watching out for them and care about them. One thing I have learned from the Newtown tragedy is how much these teachers cared for their students. They didn’t flee and abandon the kids. They protected them. Some even took bullets for them. This tragedy has reminded me how lucky I am that my kids have such wonderful people caring for them. They are in good hands with you. Thank you.
My children do not know about the Newtown tragedy. I was going to tell them but couldn’t find the words. I don’t want them to be scared to go to school. I don’t want to steal their youth and innocence by having them worry that they might be gunned down during math class. If there is any way you can keep a lid on this at school I would greatly appreciate it, as I’m sure most parents would agree. If you have any pointers for talking to my children about this please let me know. I just can’t think of any way to present this without them being afraid of going back to school and being attacked by bad guys. Maybe it’s wrong of me to not tell them. I don’t know what the right way to handle this is. Telling your child that two classrooms of kids were murdered while at school is not something you’ll find in the parenting handbook. Please keep that in mind as you overhear chatter on Monday.
Again, thank you for all you do. We need more people like you in the world. Thank you for giving me comfort in knowing that my babies are loved and cared for while in your hands. Thank you for not only teaching them, but for being a role model to them. They say it takes a village to raise a child. Thank you for being part of my village. I couldn’t have asked for anyone better.
Allison Hepworth
edited to add: After some gentle prodding from you guys, I told my kids this morning about the tragedy. My 5th grade son already knew! Apparently a friend at a party we were at last night told him. My 3rd grade daughter was horrified. After a few minutes of discussion she is now fine. My kids didn’t want to talk about details of the attack, they only wanted to talk about all the safety measures at their school and how they will be safe if something bad happens at their school. I felt comforted knowing they have some pretty good lock-down measures in place. Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I do feel better now that they know.
xoxo, Allison
  HoHnew1 copy
Thank you, Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment